Hawaiian monk seals need your help!
Our elected officials are hearing from Hawaiians who oppose the actions that are needed to save our seals. Please take a few minutes to call or email your elected officials and express your support for the Hawaiian monk seal, and the agencies mandated to prevent the seal's extinction.
Calling the Hawai'i delegation to Congress is the best way to get your message across. Identify yourself as a constituent and tell the staff member that you would like to leave a brief message about protecting the Hawaiian monk seal. Then, state your reasons why you think it is important that the Hawaiian monk seal be recovered. Suggested talking points for a phone call are listed below - you can also email your Senators or Representatives with a message sent through their names here.
U.S. Senator Daniel K. Inouye Phone: 202 224-3934 (DC), 808 541-2542 (Honolulu)
U.S. Senator Daniel K. Akaka Phone: 202 224-6361 (DC), 808 522-8970 (Honolulu)
U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa (HI-1) Phone: 202 225-2726 (DC), 808 541-2570 (Honolulu)
U.S. Rep. Mazie Hirono (HI-2) Phone: 202 225-4906 (DC), 808 541-1986 (Honolulu)
Talking points for any phone calls or letters:
Please take a few moments to reach out to your congressional delegations with the message to save our seals. Always give the delegation your name and address and remind them that you're a constituent. And when you do, tell our monk seal coordinator, Mark Richardson, that you're taking action to protect the Hawaiian monk seal!
- Please do everything in your power to support recovery of the Hawaiian monk seal and prevent its extinction.
- The Hawaiian monk seal is part of our unique cultural and natural heritage.
- Please support funding to federal and state agencies mandated to recover the Hawaiian monk seal.
- The Hawaiian monk seal is loved by residents as well as visitors who come to the Islands to enjoy our wildlife and wild places.
- The Hawaiian monk seal is native only to Hawai'i, and unique in the world. It is critically endangered, and we have a moral obligation to save it.