Interns will help coordinate institute-wide communications including, but not limited to: social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram), blogs, web design, press releases, action alerts, daily news clips, monthly newsletters, videos and infographics. Interns also have the opportunity to contribute pieces to the institutes blog, On The Tide.
Reports to: Communications Coordinator & Development Director
Location: Glen Ellen, CA
Period: 3-4 months (currently reviewing applications for fall & winter)
Hours: Negotiable. We will consider part-time applicants (20+ hours/week) or full-time applicants (35+ hours/week). Start and ending dates are flexible.
Qualifications and Skills
College student currently enrolled or applicable experience.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to think creatively and present information visually.
- Excellent communication, writing and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while demonstrating attention to detail.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience in graphic design, video editing or multimedia storytelling a plus.
- Interest in ocean, climate change and environmental, issues.
Responsibilities may include:
Help identify both local, state and national influencers such as, journalists, experts, thought leaders, bloggers, social media influencers, key organizations, etc.
- Implement content strategies for email marketing, social media channels and website.
- Think creatively to distill complex scientific information for our target audience.
- Research partnership, grant and foundation opportunities with businesses and organizations and enter them into the database.
- Identify event opportunities for growth of business partnerships and strategic initiatives.
Internships are on a volunteer basis; no benefits or relocation costs are provided. We are happy to work with interns and their universities to obtain academic credit for internship work. It is the intern’s responsibility to negotiate this relationship with their institution and verify that the internship training and experience meets academic credit requirements.
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis, and listings will be posted until filled. To apply to a position, please send the following materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Cover letter detailing your interests, relevant experience, goals and availability
Please reference the position title and your name in the subject line. Please do not call our office regarding this opportunity.