High Seas Protection Portal
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Regional Fishery Management Area (RFMO) Footprints
- Regional Fishery Management Area (RFMO) Closures
- Regional Fishery Management Area (RFMO) Jurisdictions
- Global Predicted Deep Sea Coral Habitat
- "Fishable" Seamounts and Depths (varies by RFMO area, see definitions BELOW)
- Active Submarine Hydrothermal Vent Fields (InterRidge Vents Database v3.4)
- Areas of Particular Environmental Interest (from International Seabed Authority)
- Deep Sea Mining Areas (from International Seabed Authority)
- Global permissive areas for crust and nodule mining development (Hain et al. 2013)
- Ecologically or Biologically Significant Areas (EBSAs) (from Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity)
- Extended Continental Shelf Claims (Submissions made to Oceans & Law of the Sea, United Nations)
- Marine Ecoregion Classifications (LME, MEOW, GOODS)
"Greyed out" layers only appear at certain zooms, so zoom in or out to view.
There are pop-ups for most of the layers that provide further info and links about the data. Please let us know if we can provide more information.
There is a layers button in tool bar that will allow you to click different layers on and off.
The depth at which the ocean floor is deemed able to be fished, or "fishable." This depth is defined differently by each RFMO.
|CCAMLR||Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources||2200m|
|GFCM||General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean||1500m|
|NAFO||Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization||2000m|
|NEAFC||North-East Atlantic Fisheries Commission||1500m|
|NPFC||North Pacific Fisheries Commission||1500m|
|SEAFO||South-East Atlantic Fisheries Organization||2000m|
|SIOFA||South Indian Ocean Fisheries Agreement||1500m|
|SPRFMO||South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organization||1500m|
We are open to adding any additional layers that users would find useful.
- Bathymetry - Becker, J. J., D. T. Sandwell, W. H. F. Smith, J. Braud, B. Binder, J. Depner, D. Fabre, J. Factor, S. Ingalls, S-H. Kim, R. Ladner, K. Marks, S. Nelson, A. Pharaoh, R. Trimmer, J. Von Rosenberg, G. Wallace, P. Weatherall. (2009) Global Bathymetry and Elevation Data at 30 Arc Seconds Resolution: SRTM30_PLUS, Marine Geodesy, 32:4, 355-371.
- Seamounts - Yesson, C.; Clark, M.R.; Taylor, M.L.; Rogers, A.D. (2011) The global distribution of seamounts based on 30 arc seconds bathymetry data. Deep-Sea Res., Part 1, Oceanogr. Res. Pap. 58(4): 442-453.
- Scleractinian sp. Predicted Coral Habitat - Davies, A and JM Guinotte. (2011) Global habitat suitability for framework-forming cold-water corals. PLoS ONE 6(4) e18483.
- Octocorals Predicted Coral Habitat - Yesson, C., Taylor, M. L., Tittensor, D. P., Davies, A. J., Guinotte, J., Baco, A., Black, J., Hall‐Spencer, J.M. & Rogers, A. D. (2012) Global habitat suitability of cold‐water octocorals. Journal of Biogeography. 39 (7), 1278-1292.
- RFMO Data - FAO VME Database and RFMO websites and reports
- LME – www.lme.noaa.gov, 21 July 2016
- GOODS – UNESCO, 2009. Global Open Oceans and Deep Seabed (GOODS) – Biogeographic Classification. (IOC Technical Series, 84.) Paris: UNESCO-IOC.
- EBSAs - Dunn, D.C., J. Ardron, N. Bax, P. Bernal, J. Cleary, I. Cresswell, B. Donnelly, P. Dunstan, K.M. Gjerde, D. Johnson, K. Kaschner, B. Lascelles, J. Rice, H. von Nordheim, L. Wood, P. N. Halpin. (2014) The Convention on Biological Diversity’s Ecologically or Biologically Significant Areas: origins, development, and current status. Marine Policy 49:137-145. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2013.12.002
- Deep Sea Mining Areas - information available on International Seabed Authority (ISA).
- Deep Sea Metal Areas - Hein, J.R., Mizell, K., Koschinsky, A., and Conrad, T.A., 2013. Deep-ocean mineral deposits as a source of critical metals for high- and green-technology applications: Comparison with land-based resources. Ore Geology Reviews, v. 51, p. 1-14.
- Active Submarine Hydrothermal Vent Fields - Beaulieu, S.E., 2015, InterRidge Global Database of Active Submarine Hydrothermal Vent Fields: prepared for InterRidge, Version 3.3. World Wide Web electronic publication. Version 3.4 accessed 2018-02-15, http://vents-data.interridge.org