10 Things You Can Do For the Ocean Right Now
There’s a lot you can do in your everyday life to help protect the ocean and all of the life it sustains. How many of the actions below will you take today?
- Learn about and support your local or national marine protected areas -- research opportunities to volunteer with them. The best protected areas are the ones with strong local support!
- If you travel, visit marine protected areas that are conserving marine wildlife -- the Blue Parks are great ones!
- Take only pictures, and leave only footprints.
- Tell your legislators that you think protecting ocean wildlife is important.
- Tell your legislators that you think acting on climate change is important.
- Talk with others about ocean wildlife and ocean protections -- spread the word about what we can do to save ocean ecosystems.
- Stop using single-use plastics (e.g., grocery bags, straws, to-go containers, bottled drinks); cut unnecessary products out of your routines and opt for reusable items. Let companies know why you are choosing or avoiding their products.
- Reduce your use of fossil fuels -- ride your bike, use electric cars and public transit, attend meetings and conferences virtually to reduce long-distance travel, power your home with renewable energy, and eat less meat.
- If you eat seafood, buy only sustainably fished seafood.
- Support conservation organizations working to safeguard marine biodiversity. If you’d like to support Marine Conservation Institute's work to save wild ocean places, please make a donation today.